New York State Science Olympiad (“NYSSO”) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which seeks to engage and challenge students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (“STEM”) through various levels of team-based competitive tournaments throughout New York State.
In order to advance and develop STEM education, the primary mission of NYSSO is to:
- Increase Middle School and High School students interest and success in STEM education;
- Improve community perception of STEM education;
- Recognize talented students and dedicated teachers in STEM education through teamwork, cooperation, and respectful competition;
- Conduct events so as to improve the quality of STEM education;
- Organize NYSSO Regional and State Tournaments and to provide encouragement and information to potential participants;
- Encourage and develop relationships between science educators, science students, and the science- related industry;
- Represent and cooperate with the National Science Olympiad, ;
- Provide financial support through fundraising efforts for the foregoing purposes; and
- Coordinate with persons, agencies, and organizations to promote and build support for
Information from articles and studies that have measured the impact of Science Olympiad on students may be seen here.