NYSSO Event Announcements
Announcements from NYS Event Supervisors, regarding any New York State specific event information/details, will be posted here.
2/23/17: Electric Vehicle: By a strict reading of the rules, placing the cans side-by-side and wedging your way through them is allowed. So, NO penalty will be accessed and the bonus will be awarded as long as “all parts of the vehicle” travel between the 2 cans (rule 3.c.).
However, please note the following. The same rule does NOT specify how “weighted” the cans may be, it does NOT prevent the ES from taping or somehow affixing the cans to the track (all the rule says is they will be “positioned”), nor does it give a limit to how high (“≥ 10.5 cm”…and therefore possibly how heavy) the cans may be.
2/23/17: Helicopter: The LeMoyne College handball court dimensions for the Division C State Tournament event location is as follows: Handball Court 3 is 12.164 m l x 6.095 m w x 5.983 m h.
2/13/17: Rocks & Minerals B/C: 2017 Official Science Olympiad Rocks:Minerals List
The list for the STATE Tournament will also include the following 4 Minerals.: Labradorite, Kyanite, Wollastonite. Rhodochrosite
- Hovercraft propellers must be shielded from all sides (including the bottom).
- Competitors who touch a moving hovercraft will forfeit a successful run.
- Hovercrafts with construction violations or no successful runs will score no points.
- The Hovercraft scoring formula rewards a time score of 0 for any run time less than half the target time (you will score better with slower runs).
General Laptop Information:
All laptop computers must be fully charged before entering the exam location. Outlets will not be available for students to run their computers during the event.
FAQs & Clarifications for Regional Tournaments:
NYSSO and the NYS Event Supervisors will not respond to questions in regards to any events/event rules nor will either issue clarifications in response to inquires from any student, coach, or parent.
POSTED FAQs AND RULE CLARIFICATIONS ON THE NATIONAL SCIENCE OLYMPIAD WEBSITE (www.soinc.org) ARE APPLICABLE TO ALL NEW YORK STATE REGIONAL AND STATE TOURNAMENTS, PROVIDED THEY ARE PUBLISHED ON OR PRIOR TO THE FOLLOWING CUT-OFF DATES:
The cutoff date for Division C clarifications that apply for Regional tournaments will be January 14, 2017.
The cutoff date for Division B clarifications that apply for Regional tournaments will be January 28, 2017.
All FAQ’s & Clarifications should be submitted to the following:
Official Event List and Resources
The list of events includes all official National events, as well as the New York State trial events.
All the events listed will run at the States tournaments.
Events that run at the Regional tournament vary among regions. Please contact each regional coordinators for the appropriate information.
Trial events may or may not count at Regional tournaments. Please contact each regional coordinators for the appropriate information.
Trial events will count at State tournaments.
The following rules apply to all New York State Science Olympiad tournaments and ceremonies:
- In compliance with an agreement with the USOC, no clothing, flags or other items displaying the old five-hexagon logo will be permitted at any Science Olympiad tournaments or ceremony.
- Inappropriate dress or conduct will be cause for a member or members of a team or the whole team to be disqualified from participation in events or ceremonies sponsored by the Science Olympiad.
- No inflatable items of any kind (ball, animal, reptile, etc.) will be allowed at any ceremony or function sponsored by the Science Olympiad.